Thursday, May 5, 2011

Mostly about family

Hunting has been very productive for Girl Cat.  Not so good for the small critters, Camelia pondered the perplexity.  "Girl Cat," Camelia started with that 'this-is-gonna-be-a-deep one-voice. The cat blinked, pretending to be more deeply ASLEEP than present.  "She's gonna talk anyway," the cat knew it to be true.

Camelia continued in that earnest voice.  "You know, if you hunt 'em you should eat 'em."  The half bodies of baby bunnies and birds lay in Girl Cat's tiny courtyard, an almost-graveyard.  The place was also unavoidable anyway you looked. "I'm a cat.  I'm an outdoor, mostly wild cat." 

"I know," the girl said.  The cat said, "You needed somebody.  You needed family.  You got me."  "I know," the girl said.  Girl Cat said very gently, "Better be careful what you wish for."   

Camelia was quiet for a long time, doing that thinking thing you does.  "I got my wish," she said and swooped the cat onto her lap.  Girl Cat licked Camelia's hand.  "Me, too."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Messages to Camelia and her Friends are some of their favorite things!